If you have weird-looking grass in your yard, the probability you own crabgrass is high. The weed is easy to recognize as it has a crab-like shape. It spreads really fast, destroying everything without any mercy.
Luckily, in case you need help with them, the best crabgrass killer is available for you right now. Keep reading to find out the best post-emergent crabgrass killers that can help you regain the design of your yard.
Table of Contents
- What is the best crabgrass killer?
- The 5 best crabgrass killers you can buy in 2020
- 1. Best post-emergent crabgrass killer: Compare-N-Save Concentrate
- 2. Best crabgrass killer for lawns: Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer
- 3. Best crabgrass killer that won’t kill grass: Syngenta Tenacity Turf Herbicide
- 4. Best crabgrass killer for bermudagrass: BioAdvanced 704100B Bermudagrass Control
- 5. Best liquid crabgrass killer: Primesource Quinclorac 1.5L Select (Drive XLR8)
- Buying tips on how to choose the best crabgrass killer
- Crabgrass killer can affect your health
- The most effective ways to operate crabgrass killers
- Systemic Versus Contact Herbicide
- Pre-Emergent vs. Post-Emergent Herbicides
- When to choose Non-Selective or Selective Herbicides
- Protection while utilizing killers
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Wrap Up
- Looking for more garden-related Buying Guides? See below:
What is the best crabgrass killer?
- Best post-emergent crabgrass killer: Compare-N-Save Concentrate
- Best crabgrass killer for lawns: Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer
- Best crabgrass killer that won’t kill grass: Syngenta Tenacity Turf Herbicide
- Best crabgrass killer for bermudagrass: BioAdvanced 704100B Bermudagrass Control
- Best liquid crabgrass killer: Primesource Quinclorac 1.5L Select (Drive XLR8)
The 5 best crabgrass killers you can buy in 2020
1. Best post-emergent crabgrass killer: Compare-N-Save Concentrate
The Compare-N-Save Concentrate is perhaps one of the most useful weed killers on the market. It is of great help, killing crabgrass fast and also any other weed that is not needed. After applying, it dries in two hours and the results come quickly, in just about two to four days. It does not impact the health of the soil and you can use it with ease.
On the other hand, make sure you keep children and away from its toxic effects. Follow the directions on the label, so you don’t end up killing your crops. By combining it appropriately with water, you can produce 85 gallons of substance that can cover over 25,000 square feet of lawn.
reasons to buy:
- It doesn’t cause harm to the soil
- It’s easy to hold and aim
- Results come quick
- Large amounts won’t be necessary
reasons to avoid:
- It is important to avoid spraying in areas that are close to pets, children, and gardens with edible fruits or vegetables
2. Best crabgrass killer for lawns: Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer
The Ortho Weed B Gon Weed Killer is great if you want to destroy only the crabgrass and nothing else. The chemicals are deadly only for this weed. It is easy to handle due to the spray mechanism, allowing you to use it in both smaller and bigger areas.
Spraying the top end of the crabgrass is enough, as the product is strong enough to dispatch it. The best time to use it is during spring months and is useful even in rainy weather. If your landscape is overloaded with weed, spraying will be needed continuously, because the killing cycle is shorter. In addition to all these benefits, the grass won’t be harmed and it comes with a highly affordable price tag.
reasons to buy:
- A highly rated killer that can be used on both small and large areas
- It does not kill any other plants
- Rainproof for up to one hour
- Reasonably priced
- It doesn’t harm your grass
reasons to avoid:
- It does not prevent crabgrass from growing (post-emergent herbicide)
3. Best crabgrass killer that won’t kill grass: Syngenta Tenacity Turf Herbicide
Syngenta Tenacity Turf Herbicide is the most successful crabgrass killer and preventer. The mix has an ingredient named Mesotrione 40%, making sure you can destroy any amount of weed.
In case you are hesitating because you want to protect your landscape, don’t! This is the best crabgrass killer that won’t kill the grass. You can sprinkle it before spring or even in the summer. It does great work as a post-emergent and as a pre-emergent solution.
For the best outcomes, a higher concentration might be needed. On the same note, you will also notice a temporary whitening of turfgrass foliage.
reasons to buy:
- Pre-emergence and post-emergence herbicide
- Appropriate for residential and commercial areas
- From 5 to 8 years of shelf life
- Efficient for 46 types of pests
reasons to avoid:
- Requires multiple applications
- It causes temporary whitening of turfgrass foliage
4. Best crabgrass killer for bermudagrass: BioAdvanced 704100B Bermudagrass Control
BioAdvanced 704100B Bermudagrass Control is hooked to your garden hose for an easy and more extensive sprinkle. One quart of the mix can cover 5,000 square feet, being useful in an hour after application.
At the expense of other grasses, like Saint Augustine grass (including flora tam), centipede grass, Bahia grass, and Zoysia grass lawns, this herbicide is the best crabgrass killer for bermudagrass. It is excellent to utilize on cool-season grasses like fescue, Kentucky bluegrass, and perennial ryegrass.
reasons to buy:
- Specially formulated for Bermuda grass
- Versatile for killing other weedy grass
- Good coverage of up to 5,000 square feet
- Easy to use and convenient
reasons to avoid:
- The hose applicator might not be the best
5. Best liquid crabgrass killer: Primesource Quinclorac 1.5L Select (Drive XLR8)
Primesource Quinclorac 1.5L Select (Drive XLR8) is a concentrated herbicide that needs to be mixed with water. For better results, it is recommended to apply it every 21 days, especially in larger areas.
Being functional in the rain too, it is perhaps the best liquid crabgrass killer you can get. It destroys any unwanted weed, but be careful how you apply it. It is better to keep the distance from your edible crops. It is not expensive either, as you receive 1.5L of liquid that is easy to mix and use.
reasons to buy:
- It comes with a highly affordable price tag
- Easy to mix and to use
- Effectively kills most weeds
- Rainproof up to two hours
reasons to avoid:
- It does not really prevent the crabgrass from growing back
Buying tips on how to choose the best crabgrass killer
The most important element is to recognize the efficiency of the product. “The more, the merrier” saying doesn’t apply here. The effectiveness relies on the ingredients and on the strength of the formula. Some products need dilution, and others need high concentration usage. It is better to choose a product that doesn’t need many applications in order to get the best value for your money.
Another significant point is the after-effect. It is essential to choose a product that doesn’t destroy the vegetation but also does the job properly. For sure, you don’t want to ruin anything else but the crabgrass on your lawn.
It is mandatory to learn that different types of environments need to be treated accordingly. Crabgrass killers differ from one to another and cannot be effective if they are not used correctly. Make certain you use the right type of product for your lawn, considering the weather in your area.
Some products lack ingredients that you have to add or have to be mixed with water. It is safer to select a product that is a full package. This way, you won’t be risking to deteriorate the formula or your lawn.
Crabgrass killer can affect your health
It is a known fact that chemical products have a harmful impact on both humans and animals. There are institutions that do not engage in utilizing crabgrass killers, recommending homemade ones. In case they are inhaled by accident, these fumes can affect your lungs, impacting the ability to breathe.
The most effective ways to operate crabgrass killers
Here are some tips on how you want to use crabgrass killers:
- Know how the system works. It is important to choose your product carefully, taking into consideration weather conditions and seasons.
- Protect yourself, your family members, pets, and anyone else who might get in contact with the formula.
- Assure that you sprinkle the formula evenly. Don’t miss any spots; otherwise, your work will be in vain.
Systemic Versus Contact Herbicide
There is an obvious difference between these two herbicides. It is just a decision regarding the amount of time you can or want to wait for visible results. The systemic one is a chemical compound that takes more time than other killers to do its job, but it’s really effective. If you want to get rid of the crabgrass faster, contact herbicide is the one to pick.
Pre-Emergent vs. Post-Emergent Herbicides
Most of the crabgrass killers are herbicides. These can be easily found from different companies and in different markets. The pre-emergent herbicide is recommended to use during higher temperatures. This herbicide stops the weed from growing and spreading.
The post-emergent herbicide is sprinkled on flourished crabgrass, helping you to control its spread. However, post-emergent crabgrass killers will not stop the apparition of weeds.
When to choose Non-Selective or Selective Herbicides
The selective herbicide is an excellent choice when you wish to eliminate a certain type of plant only. If you are a gardener, or your garden is already established, then having this type of herbicide is better.
The non-selective herbicide can destroy diverse plants. This herbicide is an outstanding choice if your garden is not brimming with other plants.
Protection while utilizing killers
Like with any chemical product, whilst using chemical herbicides, being extra careful is mandatory. Safety measures are inescapable. It is important to minimize the injuries or any kind of hazards to yourself or anyone around you. We will describe some safety measures to take into consideration when using the best crabgrass killer:
- It is important to know that it can cause various damage
- Be aware of how and where you spray, because some types of herbicides can kill your herbs and crops
- It is necessary to read and comprehend the directions written on the product
- Be aware of the area you are using the herbicide
- Using gloves is not mandatory, but recommended
Nowadays, there are several best crabgrass killers to choose from. They are easy to find; a lot of markets possess them. A few are easily affordable, and there are some more expensive. Mix them with water, add some ingredients, or just use the product as it is, and you are ready to get rid of crabgrass.
For your safety, make sure you pick the best product that suits your landscape. Your lawn has its own personality, and you need to treat it in the right way. For more information on how to care for your lawn, you can also check out this video.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What Is Crabgrass?
Crabgrass is an annual weed whose seeds germinate during spring and summer. When you want a clean lawn, this is one of your biggest enemies. It spreads without noticing and can conquer your entire lawn, as the seeds are able to last even for 30 years. Maybe you have seen it before, but you simply didn’t pay attention until it appeared on your lawn. Destroying it quickly as possible is the best start to get back to your clean grass.
Q. How Can We Distinguish Crabgrass From Quack Grass?
Firstly, crabgrass is a miniature weed. It doesn’t grow high; it spreads. Just like the name of it says, it looks like a crab, having several “arms.” On the other hand, quack grass grows upward and has long thick blades. You can’t mistake them for grass. Secondly, crabgrass is more common in warm conditions, while quack grass thrives in cold weather.
Q. How Can You Destroy Crabgrass In Your Yard?
Your solution is to find an excellent herbicide that suits your type of lawn. However, eliminating a plant is not enough; maintenance is a significant part of helping your landscape stay in shape. You have to take good care of it all the time, no matter the weather.
Q. When Can We Use A Pre-emergent Or A Preventer?
When you apply a preventer, it is crucial to consider the area you live in and the temperature range throughout the year. Thus, the crabgrass preventer should be applied prior to germination, otherwise it will not be effective. The best moment for this depends on when is the last frost in your area. Furthermore, once you apply it, you should repeat this step in between two mowing sessions, so the killer reaches deeper into the soil.
Q. How Does A Vinegar Killer Perform?
Maybe you want your garden to be eco-friendly, or you want to have a safe setting; as a consequence, you end up using a vinegar killer. Taking into consideration that crabgrass killers contain different types of chemicals, vinegar ones can be a safer alternative. It is easy to buy, being available in every store. Used at full capacity, it can burn the grass.
Q. Should You Pull Crabgrass?
When the crabgrass just started growing, you can easily pull it. The best advice is to use working gloves for this, so you don’t injure your hands. If it is deeply established, it will be difficult to handle, and your only choice will be to use a formula.
All in all, Compare-N-Save Concentrate remains our top pick for the best crabgrass killer of this year. It is easy to use, extremely efficient and it is perhaps the best post-emergent crabgrass killer on the market. Don’t forget, if you have crabgrass problems, you have even more solutions. Just make sure you pick the most adequate for your situation and start rebuilding your lawn. Let’s make your landscape like new again!